19 November 2009

Hey, man. Whaddya want, man?

Well.  Now this is comfortable.  I have finally gotten my internet connection after a lot of haggling and what I think was a bribe.  It works out nice that way: I don't think I've ever been fully aware of the bribes I may have given in the past, but afterwards I think, "Hm...  That might have just been a 'bribe'."
Does it even work like that?  I guess it's more like I am getting ripped off; not bribing anybody.  Or maybe the person extorting me is thinking something like, "If you let me rip you off right now, I will get done what you want me to get done."  Anyhow.  It's done.
My week has been relatively quiet so far.  Daily classes in Kannada, and only two Sanskrit classes so far this week.  The frequency of Sanskrit will pick up through the weekend probably.  I have enough work that keeps me busy anyhow.
I would like to explain my Kannada lessons.  First, I'll set the scene of my learning environment.  I arrive at the Central Institute of Indian languages daily at 11:00, or thereabout.  Two guards greet me; I sign a log book.  I ascend a large, marble staircase littered with the corpses of dead bees.  Two dogs, not dead, are regularly sleeping on the staircase as well.  My class is on the third floor--that's fourth floor to you and me, however, as in India we start counting on two.  Three teachers rotate through my hour-long classes throughout the week.  Two of them are excellent, and one among them is superb.  About the third:
Entering my teacher's office, one notices there is always someone there.  Actually, most times I enter there are numerous people in the office; but this 'someone' I am referring to, who is random and varies, seems to just be hanging out.
There is a long conference table covered by green felt with artificial flowers in a wire vase placed at the center.  On the desk proper, attached by way of the same green felt sheet, is a basket of stamps, a service bell, a Taj Mahal snow globe, five books on top of stacks and stacks and stacks of papers, another vase (no flowers), no desk space, and old tea cups.
There are truly some amazing moments of both pedagogical breakthroughs, and short attention span getting the better of one or the other of us.  One of the 'regulars' in the room, a short, old, worn and grayed man, regularly comes in to use the phone.  He only speaks Hindi on the phone, so I can understand what he is saying, and it is always related to things around the house.  Instructing what needs to be done and how it is to be done.  My teacher looks at him with funny glances, and has started attempting to block him from doing this with questions that I assume are like, "What do you need to do this for now?  I have class."
The older gentleman pushes his way past my teacher's belly, and makes for the phone.
Another teacher, who teaches me Kannada script, is incredibly kind and will eventually teach me fantastic Kannada script-- it might take the entire time that I am here though.  The elements of Indian languages' alphabets that are foreign to most beginners--like aspirated versus unasperated, or palatal versus dental, etc.--are, to me, now known having studied Sanskrit and Hindi.  However, I have a lot of review on these subjects now, despite my informing him that I have studied Sanskrit and Hindi for a number of years.
Shree Vijaylakshmi is my favorite teacher.  She is no nonsense, to the point, and highly effective from the time she starts my lesson to the time she finishes.

I have not yet made time to visit sights around Mysore, but I will begin that within the coming week hopefully.  I'll be able to read the signboards and understand better what precisely is going on around me at that point as well.  The city is becoming slightly more familiar to me; I am developing my circles--milk man, vegetable man, convenience store man.  The city is very laid back.  There is a big influence from a large yoga crowd that comes here.  A lot of the store owner's only English is (and I am not kidding here): "Hey, man.  What's up?  Whaddya want, man?"  And they're so chill when they say it.  It's sweet!
I am more fully settled into my flat now, and remain busy with Kannada, Sanskrit, and my applications to graduate studies.  They are all coming along very productively.